A social scientist with a touch of technology
I'm a Finnish social scientist interested in new media. My interests include online participation, e-politics, social services and mobile systems. In all of these, I prefer approaching the thing from softer, non-technical side, even while I have a background in fast and ugly prototyping and coding too.
My background is in political science, which I studied at the University of Helsinki and computer science, which I've learned at Nokia Corporation and go deeper at the University of Helsinki. Currently I'm working at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology and studying towards PhD in computer science.
My days pass while I sitting next to my computer and think really hard. Things I do vary from programming, data-analysis, writing, teaching and other stuff like that. My current interests are
- co-located computing
- computational social science
- civic technologies
IRC: matnel @ ircnet
- I run a workshop of programming for course "Mediatutkimus: Datajournalistik" (2016-09-26)
- I'm co-organizing Digital Citizens, Communities and Society-meetup (2016-09-30)
- 5+ TET students (8th & 9 graders, getting familiar with work live) join our research group during the fall semester (2016-10-03)
- Organizing the "Digital Citizens, Communities and Soicety"-mmetup together with CSC (2016-10-28)
- Revieving two papers for CHI 2017 (2016-11-02)
- I'll teach "Pogramming for social science" at University of Helsinki (2016-11-04)
- Guest lecture on "Social computing" at University of Helsinki, CS Department HCI class (2016-11-30)