A social scientist with a touch of technology
I'm a Finnish social scientist interested in new media. My interests include online participation, e-politics, social services and mobile systems. In all of these, I prefer approaching the thing from softer, non-technical side, even while I have a background in fast and ugly prototyping and coding too.
My background is in political science, which I studied at the University of Helsinki and computer science, which I've learned at Nokia Corporation and go deeper at the University of Helsinki. Currently I'm working at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology and studying towards PhD in computer science.
My days pass while I sitting next to my computer and think really hard. Things I do vary from programming, data-analysis, writing, teaching and other stuff like that. My current interests are
- co-located computing
- computational social science
- civic technologies
IRC: matnel @ ircnet
- Our work "Working the fields of big data: Using big-data-augmented online ethnography to study candidate–candidate interaction at election time" has been published in Journal of Information Technology & Politics (2017-01-23)
- I'll visit University of Tampere to run HYBRA code camp (2017-02-06)
- Reviewing a paper to Interact 2017 (2017-02-06)
- I'll teach a course on Simulation models (2017-02-20)
- I participate European Big Data Hackathon as part of the Statistics Finland team (2017-03-13)
- I'll co-teach a course "Network analysis" with Arho Toikka (2017-04-20)
- Our work "Theory-Driven Collocated CMC: A Study of Collocated Mediated Interaction as a Public Sphere" (with Antti Salovaara, Giulio Jacucci and Bryan Semaan) is presented at CHI 2017 (2017-05-06)